An everything bagel is at the pinnacle of bagel hierarchy! A fresh everything New York bagel is without a doubt the first thing you think of when you consider ordering bagels in New York or elsewhere.
What goes into making an Everything Bagel?
- The ingredients in an everything bagel are somewhat standard — fresh base bagel dough is the starting point for most bagels, and the difference with the everything bagel is all in the toppings.
- After the bagel is shaped, proofed and boiled, it is prepared for baking. An egg wash is used by many to provide a sticky surface for the toppings.
- Poppy seeds and sesame seeds provide the black and tan speckled look associated with the everything bagel. And yes, the rumors are true – poppy seeds can make you test positive for drugs, so make sure you keep the receipt!
- Dried onion flakes and dried garlic flakes go on as well for extra flavor. These add a bit of a punch under the snap of the seeds.
- Finally, kosher salt or sea salt is sprinkled on. This is the final touch before baking to a golden brown finish.
The everything bagel is usually served with a schmear of cream cheese, or eaten plain.